I love the beginning of a new year. Therefore I always start it with the same tradition: I buy a black daily Moleskine planner, to write down all the moments of the year. There is no greater feeling than opening the fresh pages, writing down the addresses and birthdays and flipping through the empty pages that want to be filled with memories, that need to be made. I started the ‘book-thing’ in 2005, so this year I’m writing the 10th Moleskine Diary. I enjoy working online but when it comes to organizing my thoughts and memories I have to stick to the pages, to write things down. It’s sometimes a bit difficult because I don’t carry the planner around with me all the time, but I’ve started workings with “Day One” a great journal app as an additional notebook.
Like everyone I like to rethink certain ideas, values and options at the beginning of the year. So here are some of my new Year’s resolutions. I’m excited which ones I can fulfill this year.
- Take my (Polaroid) camera with me more often
- Smile more, last year was challenging and there were times when I just couldn’t smile anymore – this needs to be changed. Here is a picture that really made me laugh lately.
- Randy Pausch and his 'Last lecture' really made me rethink the way I address problems. I will try to take his advice more serious this year: “we can not change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand“
- Travel more! Life was so busy last year that I didn’t have time to travel, this needs to be changed 2014!
- Take time to write things down.
- Keep hosting dinner parties once in a while to bring cool people together.